Carrot Cake Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Carrot Cake Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting are the perfect Spring Cookies and a wonderful choice for Easter, Mother's Day or a Spring Brunch. This homemade cookie tastes just like Carrot Cake which makes it a great Easter Dessert idea. And with the delicious cream cheese frosting and chopped pecans this is an Easter treat that is sure to please. Pin this delicious cookie recipe for later and follow us for more great Easter Food ideas. #Cookies #CarrotCake #CarrotCakeCookies #EasterDesserts
For the cookies:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened slightly
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats not quick oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut sweetened or unsweetened
- 2/3 cup finely grated carrots NOT packed, see note
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts optional
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar plus more, if needed
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (do not place the cookies directly on the baking sheets, they will spread too much).
- Beat butter and sugars for 1-2 minutes until light and creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat to combine, scraping the bowl if necessary.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low until just combined. Add the oats, coconut, carrots and walnuts and mix until just combined.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Scoop the dough evenly into 2 teaspoon sized mounds and place a couple inches apart on the cookie sheets (make sure they are mounded and not flat). Ensure that the cookies will be similar in size since the cookies will be sandwiched.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, until golden brown and still slightly soft in the center. Rotate your cookie sheets halfway through the baking time to ensure even baking. Cool the cookies completely on the baking sheets. Once cool, place the cookies in the refrigerator to firm up a little while you prepare the frosting.
For the frosting:
- Beat cream cheese and butter for several minutes, until combined. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat for a couple more minutes until smooth and creamy. If the frosting appears too thin, add a little more powdered sugar or place it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to slightly firm up.
- Spread frosting on the underside of half of the cookies and top with another cookie.
- These cookies are best within 1-2 days of making them. Store them in the refrigerator and eat them from the fridge or bring to room temp before serving.